Another mystery source

Please help identify a source we found at an old burn site in a closed
landfill.  The site is being remediated and this source was found during the
site characterization for heavy metals.

It is approximately one inch long and 0.25 inches in diameter.  It is
definitely a beta source and we believe it is Sr-90, but it is not the
standard eye applicator nor a deck marker.  The maximum radiation reading
was 80 mR/hr with a Victoreen 450P (no indication how close to the source
they were when they obtained that reading).

The ash it was found in is estimated to be about 60 years old.  Also, we
were thinking that Sr-90 sources weren't even manufactured until about the
40's or 50's, so some of this ash may have been transported from another
area.

Any guesses?

Trisha Edgerton, MS, CHP
California Department of Health Services
Radiologic Health Branch
pedgerto@dhs.ca.gov
Voice:  (916) 322-6268
Fax:     (916) 324-3610