"Paper vs Plastic" Smears

<snip>
Does anyone out there have experience using styrofoam wipe smears vs.
paper?  We have been asked to switch from paper to the styrofoam and would
	like to have some information on the pros/cons for the switch.

<unsnip>

 We use styrofoam smears almost exclusively for contamination surveys.  The only
drawback of the foam smears is that they seem to be easily
broken on rough surfaces such as very rough concrete more so than the standard
paper smear.  The foam smears also dissolve in our liquid scintillation cocktail
quite well and do not affect the quench for all practical purposes.  For use in
a typical biomedical/hospital environment they work quite well.  A more durable
smear would be necessary for a more industrial applications.

These are my opinions and are not to be considered an endorsement for these
products by my employer.