Re: The Best Kept Secret in Health Physics

   <Since only half of this message appeared, I'll try posting again>

Dear rad health - research, teaching and health physics colleagues,

The Medical Center/Institute where I maintain my office has an excellent
and comprehensive resource library and provides extensive Internet hookup
with many e-journal site licenses.  However, I have found that none of
these literature search options is as inclusive or subject-specific, and as
user-friendly as "QUEST" for accessing the health physics, radiation
dosimetry, and radiation protection literature.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with "QUEST", it is a commercially
available computer program that is installed and runs locally on a PC.
Although there are many data base searches available these days, I have yet
to encounter one that includes the enhanced array of profession-specific
literature titles and abstracts as does QUEST. I am always surprised,
therefore, that professionals who call me about one or another reference,
have not turned to QUEST. As an important time saving guide to the
radiation safety, health physics, and dosimetry literature, it must truly
be one of the best kept secrets in the profession.

Recently, I had occasion to speak with Bill Schadt, President of the
company that markets QUEST and was saddened to learn that the 1998 QUEST
update, due to be released soon, might be the last of the series.  To me,
the possibility that QUEST might not be continued, represents the loss of
an essential resource that, over the years, has become akin to a close and
reliable old friend.