Re: Tinian Island Question

The following was sent to me by my father who had some dealings at Tinian

I'm a little skeptical about the story of any machining done on Tinian. My
knowledge of the events only cover 1948-49. We were dealing with two Atomic
Bombs that were manufactured elsewhere, and only assembled on Tinian. That
would not require any "machining" of parts. I could believe that some
scraps could have been disposed of in the Mariannas Trench, since it would
be relativly close and remote enough to cause little harm to human life.
That may not be all that was dumped there, including some things of
Japanese and Chinese origin. So much of reality and mythology surround the
events that have occured during the eveloution of nuclear era, that I have
not devoted much energy to many of the anecdotal stories that have been
touted.

In my own case, someone advised me to get in touch with a "special study
group" somewhere in Nevada. These people would have you believe that there
is an effort by our government to keep in touch with those who may have
been involved with the testing and development of nuclear weapons. As you
know, I was involved on the very edge of some very early events, but this
outfit was looking for someone to tell them some spectacular story of
radiation exposure. I probably got more exposure to Radiation from the sun
than anything else.

Michael R. Dupray
Senior Staff Health Physics Technician
General Atomics