Re: Crooke's Radiometer

I know that as a class demo the intensity and the energy distribution
affects the speed of vane rotation. For example, you can take a Kodak
Carousel projector and either change the bulb luminence(a switch)  or back
the projector off or closer in and affect the speed of rotation.  Also,
you can put the projector downstream of a AC potentimeter and thereby
change the spectral energy distribution of the radiation i.e.  Planck
function, of the light being emitted, and it too will affect the speed
albeit you also change the bulb luminence by adjusting the bulb
temperature(Stefan-Boltzman law). So, photon flux is a key factor, i.e.
energy density, ..... and in any case, the students love it.
But to demonstrate photon momentum, at ths point I caste my ballot for the
Compton Effect !

Tom Harrison Ph.D., RSO
Engineering Physics
University of North Texas