Re: Benchmark for CERCLA comparison

thenry@viperlink.net writes:

<< Am I correct in my understanding that dose criteria / limits are only
 defined for workplace exposures?  Are there any dose criteria for
 "residential" scenarios?

 Any suggestions or references to EPA, NRC or other entity guidance or
 regulation is greatly appreciated. >>

The NRC's decommissioning rule does not distinguish between residential and
industrial per se.  The limit is 25 millirem per year TEDE to the "average
member of the critical group."  The difference between residential and
industrial sites would be taken into account during the process used to
determine how much material can be left behind before exceeding the 25
millirem annual dose limit.  Such considerations are built into the D and D
code, which I believe is the NRC code designed to assist imlentation of the
25 millirem per year rule.  See 10 CFR 20.1401 et seq.

Barbara L. Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com