From: Jim Abraham [mailto:jimabe@lamar.colostate.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 1999 9:11 AM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Re: Nuclear Train

I absolutely agree.  I think that a message delivered from the Health
Physics
Society would carry much more weight and meaning than from one individual.
This
would be a great opportunity for people to even hear the words "Health
Physics",
which I'll bet 95% of the general population have never put the two together
understand what we do.  The fact that the public doesn't know about our
profession and the Society is our fault.  The Society should use the
opportunity
to educate the public and answer questions about issues being used by the
media
to generate fear and sell papers, such as transportation of radioactive
waste.
The more people know that we exist, the less likely a negative response to
something that is not understood.  The most important aspect of all of this
is
how it is presented to the public.  If the message is crafted for the most
efficient communication in laymen's terms, then the Society will only
benefit
from its demonstrated professionalism.  I'm curious what the HPS President
thinks of this opportunity?
--
James P. Abraham

Phone:  (970) 491-3928  Fax:  (970) 491-4804
email:  jimabe@lamar.colostate.edu