Re: Skin sensitive individual

Bjorn Cedervall wrote:

I was recently asked about a skin sensitive 50 year old man who works
at a NPP. When this man works for say 30 to 60 min. in an area with a
dose rate in the order of 1 mSv/h he develops a redness similar to
that many fair skinned individuals get when they get their first real
sun exposure in the summer.  ...   Wonder if you have any comments to
this. Could he possibly represent say a lighter version of some X-ray
sensitivity syndrome? Or are other explanations more likely? Has any
of you encountered similar cases?  Any comments will be appreciated.

I know of an instance when a mechanic who performed work over an open refueling
port in a reactor vessel head (gamma radiation levels <50 mR/hr, beta levels
<300 mrad/hr) and subsequently developed skin reddening neatly covering the area
of his skin _not_ covered by his clothing, i.e., face and front of neck.  I
don't recall that an explanation was ever put forth officially.  I always
suspected he'd snuck out an emergency exit and done some sunbathing.

Brian Gaulke, CHP
Head, Dosimetry Section
Radiation Protection Bureau
Health Canada