Re: Radiation martyrs - dial painters included?

>There would not likely have been dial painter osteosarcoma deaths in
>1936. Early dial painter deaths were from acute medical conditions,
esp.
>bone necrosis, sometimes identified as a general systems collapse.

I thank you for the extensive clarification and references. Wonder
where I got the osteosarcomas from - most probably from Martland
around the year 1930. Read a few of his/her articles in 1975 -
certainly details of Martland's publications have disappeared from my
mind since then and in addition I can impossibly have a well founded
opinion about the quality of tumor classifications made at that time.
Some of the descriptions were probably vague - like those of anemias.
As I recall the story, fractures occured (lumbal, collum femoralis,
and at other sites) and this was how the tumors were found - but
realistically there may have been histological misinterpretations
made then. If all this has been re-evaluated I am of course willing
to adopt a better interpretation according to other lines - the
classification is important. I guess the number of radiation induced
deaths still remains the same (the recent review in Radiat. Res.
(Oct. or Nov. 1998) by S. Fry should also be checked).
Only my own thoughts have been reflected here.
bjorn_cedervall@hotmail.com