Re: "Living geiger counters"

A few excerpts from the results of a Hotbot search for "spiderwort" and
"radiation."

"Another interesting plant to observe notable phenotypic changes in is the
spiderwort, Tradescantia.  Carolina has written a nice Carolina Facts handout
on this.  The cells of the anther turn colors with exposure to radiation.  It
can be seen under the light microscope,
counted and quantitated.  Years ago I had a student do a science fair poject
on this.  If I remember correctly, they turned from blue to pink. She exposed
the plants to Xray at a vet's office."
http://sun.simmons.edu/archives/plants/msg00005.html

"The influence of microgravity on the effects of low-LET radiation has been
reviewed by Horneck (60) and was discussed by Nelson (61).  Most experiments
showed negligible or small effects of microgravity on radiation-induced
changes. Typical changes observed had to do with increased chromosomal
alterations in fruit flies and in Tradescantia (the spiderwort plant)
following irradiation before liftoff. Horneck suggests that changes in
chromosomal structure or position in microgravity could have prevented
effective rejoining of chromosomes."  http://www.nas.edu/ssb/csbmch11.htm

"Spiderwort: Nature's Geiger Counter. 'Well-Being,' No. 50, December 1979."
http://www.stevenfoster.com/text/publications/consumer.html

"Unusual features of Spiderwort flowers are the bow-tie shaped anthers and
the furry filaments. The flowers can be of different colors, depending on
soil pH and other environmental factors. The cells of the filament hairs
mutate easily and the plants have been grown near nuclear plants as a
biological radiation detector." http://csdl.tamu.edu/FLORA/LCP/LCP2B.HTML

Glenn
GACarlson@aol.com