RE:Radiological Fume Hood Ventilation

For high toxicity materials such as radionuclides, hood face velocities of
at least 125-150 FPM are typically used.  The authority is the American
Conference of Governmental Industrial Hygienists publication "Industrial
Ventilation".  Standard textbooks specify similar face velocities, including
Cember, (2nd ed. p. 327; also 3rd ed. p. 464) who specifies  125-275 FPM;
Kathren (Radiation Protection, p. 144) specifies 125-200 FPM as does Chapter
10 of the Environmental Engineering P.E. Examination Guide and Handbook (p.
408 of the 1996 ed).  The porblem is more complex than simply the hood face
velocity.  Typically, the quantity used in a hood operation should be
limited (10 ALI's is a useful guide).  Perhaps of even greater significance
are the capture velocity and transport velocity, which depend on the
physical form (eg solid particulate, fume, gaseous) and must be sufficient
to effectively provide for contaminant removal.  IMHO, 60 FPM is far too low.

Ron Kathren, P.E., CHP