RE: Laboratories Returning Dosimetry

A few years ago I had 1583 film badge wearers whose badges were changed
monthly.  My success rate was usually 98 % in 4 days and 100% in 8 days.

The way I got there was to have each Division Director designate a
point-of-contact in their organization who would have daily or frequent
contact with each film badge wearer.  The usually designated the
departmental secretary or someone else who didn't want the job.  Then we
bugged the point-of-contact and let her/him chase the researchers.

Various tactics were used - withholding mail, withholding pay stubs, no
vacation approvals, couldn't get to your typing, etc.

For the routine offenders, and by now they were few, we rewarded them with a
comprehensive radiation safety survey of their laboratory, etc.  We never
mentioned the film badge return problem, but they got the message.

It took 3 months to go from 60% returning 4 days to 98% in 4 days.  It
stayed at that level for the last 2 years I was at that assignment.

Regards

Bill Kendall
kendall@nucusa
(410) 312-4187