RE: MicroShield Exposure Estimates

There are variations in reported values of both the specific gamma-ray
constant and in the exposure rate constant for Ra-226.  These variations
have arisen for a number of reasons, which could include, I believe, any of
the following:

- confusion between the above two quantities
- variation in the filtration assumed in calculations and in experiment
- uncertainties in the gamma-ray spectrum used in calculations
- variations in the values assumed for muen/rho and W-bar for air
- differences in the gamma-ray and X-ray cut-off energies used
- differences in Pb-210 grow-in
- error in the assumed specific activity of Ra-226
- other uncertainties in experimental conditions

The assumed filtration is important, and I believe that the 0.825 R h^-1 m^2
Ci^-1 figure assumes filtration through 0.5 mm Pt (10% Ir), (and assumes the
historical specific activity of Ra-226 of 1 Ci/g, which is no longer quite
correct).

It doesn't surprize me at all that a code would derive a value 10% larger
than 0.825 for a given set of exposure assumptions, and I don't see the
discrepancy as a problem in this regard.

Bruce Heinmiller CHP
heinmillerb@aecl.ca