Re: MicroShield Exposure Estimates

To add a bit further to the thread that Dr. Falo ended on - if you are
comparing soil exposure values in terms of He, then there are some
differences between the computations provided between the sources (from a
soil exposure).  Eckerman (FR 12) goes into some detail about the
differences between MS (using ICRP 51 which uses the GSF model) and the
hermaphrodite phantom model used by Eckerman.  As I recall, the differences
are at most 10% to 20%.  The gender specific phantom will calculate higher
dose coefficients for internal organs of the female due to less shielding
that is not considered in the hermaphrodite phantom.

Perhaps another area to consider when comparing results in addition to the
conversion from exposure to effective dose (equivalent) (as Falo mentioned)
is uniformity of exposure - the rad health handbook would would not consider
the orientation of the body, FR 12 is in terms of rotational exposure.  MS
provides answers for a number of orientations, including PA, AP, isotropic,
and rotational.

Further information on comparisons of the various orientations can be found
in ICRP 74.

Hope this helps,
Drew Thatcher, MSHP, CHP
Washington Department of Health