Re: MicroShield Exposure Estimates -Filtration Differences?

In a message dated 4/15/99 4:48:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
senes@senes.on.ca writes:

<<  In
 fact,  the MS estimate for a point Ra-226 source (and decay products) is
 about 10% larger than the 0.825 R/h per Ci at 1 m given in the
 Radiological Health Handbook. >>

I would guess that the likely source of this difference is that the  0.825
R/h per Ci at 1 m given in the  Radiological Health Handbook for Ra-226, is
if memory serves me right, for Ra-226 filtered by at least 0.5 mm Pt. If your
MS calculation does not include filtration by 0.5 mm Pt one could easily get
a dose estimate 10% larger [or even a bit more]. My Rad Health Handbook is
boxed up at the moment since I'm in the process of moving but I believe this
point should be considered.

Stewart Farber, MS Public Health
 Director - Radium Experiment Assessment Project [REAP]
 Consulting Scientist
 Public Health Sciences
 19 Stuart St.
 Pawtucket, RI 02860

 Phone/FAX: (401) 727-4947  E-mail: radproject@aol.com
             Web address: http://www.delphi.com/carsreap

 The Radium Experiment Assessment Project [REAP] is a project
 of the Center for Atomic Radiation Studies, Inc., a not-for-profit 501(c)(3)
organization. Contributions are tax deductible to the extent permitted by
law.