RE: FW: [OEM] radiation protection for the nuclear industry

Hi Folks,

I wanted to put my two cents worth in here.  There was an original post to
this listserver which I will paste below, as well as my response to the
requester.  First of all, we need to get some good information to the
requester.  I hope I have started that off with my e-mail to him.  Second, I
agree we need to respond to the second post as a lot of misinformation went
out in that short missive.  Hopefully, that will occur.

Thanks

Linda M. Sewell, CHP
Diablo Canyon Power Plant
PO Box 56
Avila Beach,  CA  93424
(805) 545-4315 (voice)
(805) 545-2618 (fax)
mailto:lms1@pge.com

A friend of mine forwarded this to me.  I responded with the following post.

Dear Mr. Oxley,

I received your question on the subject of ionizing radiation protection
regulations from a friend of mine who is a member of that listserver.  I am
a radiation protection professional and have been working in the field for
the better part of 20 years.  I think you would find the US Nuclear
Regulatory Commissions regulations quite comprehensive for any regulatory
changes you might be considering.  In addition, many states in the US have
promulgated their own regulations for their radiation protection programs.
Radiation Protection regulations in the US follow the guidelines set by both
the National Council on Radiation Protection (NCRP) as well as the
International Commission on Radiation Protection (ICRP).  There is an
excellent internet site with links to many other sites for radiation
protection information:

http://www.physics.isu.edu/radinf/index.html

In addition there is a list server that covers the whole field of radiation
protection.  You should get a number of useful responses to your query from
this site.  The listserver is called Radsafe and to subscribe do the
following:

Send an email to listserv@romulus.ehs.uiuc.edu

In the body of the message type the following:

subscribe RADSAFE your first name your last name

I think you will find a lot of useful information from the dialogue
occurring on this listserver.

If I can provide any further information, please don't hesitate to contact
me.

Thanks and Good Luck,

Linda M. Sewell, CHP
Diablo Canyon Power Plant