Re: Auburn Steel, GA Irradiator Source Incidents ?

Pete,
Jim Yusko (Penn. Dept. of Environmental Health) is one of  the most
knowledgeable people in the US on source melts at steel mills. His phone
no. is 412-442-4000 (Yusko.James@a1.dep.state.pa.us).

The source at the radiation sterilization facility in Georgia, was at RSI,
Corp. in Decatur, GA.  The source in question was manufactured by a DOE
contractor as a storage can for 60,000 to 80,000 Curies of Cs-137.  These
large Cs-137 sources were manufactured at the WESF facility on the Hanford
Site near Richland, WA.  There is at least one detailed report describing
the incident, in which one of the WESF cans developed a small,
intermittent, leak into the shielding pool at the facility. I don't have
the report no. immediately at hand.

Andy Tompkins
Woodstock, GA   30189

jatalbq@mindspring.com