RE: Washington Times Article

--
	By Bill Gertz
	THE WASHINGTON TIME

--
	.S. intelligence agencies warned NATO military commanders last week
that
	Yugoslavia could resort to nuclear-laced weapons in the Balkans
conflict, The
	Washington Times has learned.
	     Nuclear material for a radiological weapon -- also known as a
"dirty
	nuke" -- is being stored at the Vinca Institute of Nuclear Sciences,
located
	about six miles southeast of the Yugoslav capital of Belgrade,
according to
	officials familiar with a Pentagon intelligence report.
	     A "dirty nuke" does not result in a large explosion but could
kill by
	spreading radioactive material with conventional explosives in
lethal doses,
	the officials said.
	     NATO bombing planners have taken steps to make sure the
facility is not
	bombed, the officials said.
	     "This is not on anybody's target list," said one Pentagon
official, who
	noted that NATO war planners know about the facility and the nuclear
material
	there.
	     The Pentagon report estimates about 2 kilograms (4.4 pounds) of
highly
	enriched uranium --weapons-grade fuel for a nuclear bomb -- are
stored at the
	Vinca center. About seven kilograms would be required for fueling a
nuclear
	bomb.

	-- Continued from Front Page --

	     The research center also has 53 kilograms of freshly irradiated

	Uranium-235 and about 10 kilograms of spent fuel from a research
reactor.
	That material is not regarded as "weapons grade" fuel but is
dangerous
	because of its radioactivity and its potential use as a
contaminating weapon.
	     "If this were reprocessed, it could be used in a radiological
device,"
	said the official.
	     The warning was contained in a classified report on nuclear
material
	being stored at a poorly guarded Serbian research center near
Belgrade.
	     President Clinton said Thursday after a speech in San Francisco
that the
	use of weapons of mass destruction is a danger known to U.S.
intelligence
	agencies.
	     Asked how he would respond to the use of such arms, Mr. Clinton
said:
	"My response would be swift and overwhelming, and we have,
obviously,
	intelligence about the Serbs in a number of areas militarily.
	     "But I think they are quite well aware of the dangers of overly

	escalating this," Mr. Clinton said. "And I think that's all I should
say
	about it right now."
	     The president appeared to be restating the Pentagon policy
first
	outlined several years ago by then-Defense Secretary William Perry
that the
	U.S. military response to the use of battlefield nuclear, chemical
or
	biological weapons would be devastating attacks with conventional
arms.
	     The Pentagon intelligence warning said that the nuclear
material is
	vulnerable to theft. Satellite photographs taken recently of the
Vinca center
	reveal the facility is protected with a single guard booth and that
it does
	not appear to be well secured.
	     A U.S. official said the Belgrade government has documents,
equipment
	and precursor chemicals that could be used in making chemical
weapons, as
	well as production facilities. It is not known whether the Serbs
actually
	have munitions weapons for chemical arms or stockpiles of such
weapons, the
	official said.
	     The precursor chemicals indicate that the Serbs could produce
the deadly
	nerve agent sarin, the official said. Sarin is extremely toxic;
small amounts
	can disrupt the central nervous system.
	     Serbian forces also may have capabilities for producing choking
agents
	or blistering agents such as mustard gas, as well as riot-control
agents that
	have weapons potential, the official said.
	     A 1996 report by the group Human Rights Watch said there were
witness
	testimonies indicating Serbian-backed forces in Bosnia-Herzegovina
used
	chemical weapons in carrying out the massacre of Bosnians in
Srebrenica in
	the summer of 1995.
	     The report stated that the Yugoslav army in 1991 had a chemical
weapons
	program that included stocks of sarin, mustard gas and a
psychochemical
	incapacitant known as BZ.
	     "There are no indications that the Federal Republic of
Yugoslavia has
	destroyed its stockpiles of chemical agents or disassembled its
chemical
	agent production equipment since" the breakup of Yugoslavia in 1992,
the
	report states.
	     Yugoslav army doctrine, according to report, also called for
troops to
	use chemical weapons "in surrounding and destroying a group," or
when army
	forces are blocked from moving.
	     Belgrade's biological weapons capabilities, if any, are not
known.

--
	--
	Non-commercial -Fair use discussion and research only