Re: Medical examination for a radiation worker

> We are not quibbling over semantics.  We are in significant disagreement
> on the meaning of a key section of the NRC regs.

John,

You're interpreting what you believe the intent to be. You are
ignoring what the reg says.

(a) identifies WHO must be trained and on what topics

(b) says that there must be an assessment made, for those who
exceed the threshold, and for those who don't.

I was involved in the discussions that led to this revision while at
the utility, and I know what the intent was, and what the resultant
rule says. It's stated above. Alan Rocklein of the NRC stated it,
and Les Slaback also stated the intent and what it does do, very
concisely. I also stated that any facility can provide any training
they so desire. Neither I, nor the NRC or any other regulatory body
is demanding that no training be provided. The rule only says WHO
must be trained (which implies who need not be).

I believe that there is nothing to be gained by discussing this
further.

§19.12 Instructions to workers.

(a) All individuals who in the course of employment are likely to
receive in a year an occupational dose in excess of 100 mrem (1
mSv) shall be—

(b) In determining those individuals subject to the requirements of
paragraph (a) of this section, licensees must take into
consideration assigned activities during normal and abnormal
situations involving exposure to radiation and/or radioactive material
which can reasonably be expected to occur during the life of a
licensed facility. The extent of these instructions must be
commensurate with potential radiological health protection
problems present in the work place.

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205