Re: Medical examination for a radiation worker

> Sandy- It's your interpretation of 19.12 as implying that the NRC doesn't
> believe anyone getting <100 mrem/yr needs any training that I have a problem
> with.

John,

If you read what I had written, several times previously, you will
note that I said item (b) of 19.12 states that the licensee needs to
assess what, if any training, needs to be provided, for those who
both exceed or are below the threshold. We both are in agreement
with that. If the licensee deems that no training is required (after
the assessment), then the NRC will not have a problem with this
section.

In my opinion, if a facility determines that there is no potential for a
dose (internal or externals), there are no other potential hazards, or
risks to others, then it is appropriate for the facility to determine
that no training, or very minimal training is appropriate. This is the
regulatory issue. They also need to consider the employee's
attitudes, fears and other litigation forces when making their
determination.

Regards,

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net