NRC Q&A's, take care

Care must be used when accessing the NRC database of Questions & Answers. #411 was cited recently on RADSAFE, but its content is based on an out-of-date rule.  In fact many of the Q&A's were rendered inaccurate when the definition of occupational dose was changed and Part 19 was amended.  Unfortunately the Q&A's on the NRC page are not dated, nor do they reference the date of the rule being commented upon.

Given NRC's strapped resources I would not expect this to improve.  On the other hand,  I prefer to have even old out-of-date stuff posted if that is the price to have everything else there too.  With careful cross-indexing to the current rule you can usually figure out their intent.  If not, call your friendly regulator.  :-)

Disclaimer:  the above are the personal musings of the author, and do not represent any past, present, or future position of NIST, the U.S. government, or anyone else who might think that they are in a position of authority.
Lester Slaback, Jr.  C.H.P.  [Lester.Slaback@NIST.GOV]
NBSR Health Physics
Center for Neutron Research
NIST
100 Bureau Dr. STOP 3453
Gaithersburg, MD  20899-3543
301 975-5810
"A little risk adds a bit of spice to life."