Beer as a chelating agent for uranium

Some time ago a friend who used to work at a uranium processing site
informed me that, when working at the site, whenever one suspected that they
received an intake of uranium (for whatever reason), that beer serves as a
chelating agent.  I'm not sure whether this was a simple excuse to drink or
he was actually informed of beer's chelating properties for uranium.

Can anyone provide any information or references to support this claim as
the subject of uranium intake came up recently and it would be nice to know
if there were any veracity to the story.

In the interest of preventing a thread of discussion that runs quickly off
topic, please limit replies to those that seriously discuss the topic.

Thanks,
Drew Thatcher
thatcher.drew@home.com