RE: Practical demonstration of a half-life

If you have access to a simple frisker and a high volume air sampler (or
vacuum cleaner), pull a one or two minute sample at the beginning of the
presentation, put the frisker on the filter, and record the reading on the
board.  Then leave the frisker (with the speaker off) on the sample during
the presentation.  As the lecture progresses you can periodically refer to
the frisker reading and the audience can literally "see" the half-life.  If
you don't have an air sampler, wipe a TV screen-this should give you enough
activity to demonstrate half-life.

Harry
Harold.Reynolds@RFETS.gov