Re: Deaths: KI v. radiation

> in Poland, after the Chernobyl accident,  approximately 18 million doses
> of KI were administered, 10.5 million to children, about 7 million to
> adults.  There were no reported serious adverse reactions except for two
> adults with know iodide sensitivity.  There were also about 36,000
> medically significant reactions reported.

The unfortunate factor in this administration was, that it was
supplied after the fallout had already occurred (to the best of my
recollection), and most likely, did not prevent any uptakes due to
inhalation. I know this is a true statement for individuals in the
Ukraine and surrounding areas, that could have mitigated many of
the internal doses received. Perhaps Patricia can comment on
when the KI was administered to the populations in Poland?

Sandy Perle
E-Mail: sandyfl@earthlink.net
Personal Website: http://www.geocities.com/capecanaveral/1205

              - G. K. Chesterton -