Aqua Regia Definition and Warning

Aqua Regia is a mixture of concentrated nitric and hydrochloric acids. It gets its name
from the property of being the mineral acid mixture that will dissolve gold. Zumdahl's
General Chemistry Text gives the ratio as 1 part concentrated nitric acid to 3 parts
concentrated hydrochloric acid. This mixture is very potent, and may release fumes of
chlorine from oxidation of Cl^- (chloride ion) to chlorine. Use a hood and face shield!
Use of Aqua Regia would be a "Procedure Requiring Special Authorization" under a
Chemical Hygiene Plan (29CFR1910.1450).

Michael A. Kay, ScD, CHMM
makay@teleport.com