Low-level waste management and minimization

I am seeking information from people that have had success in implementing a
low-level waste minimization program in a biomedical research facility
setting.  The emphasis is on methods to reduce the volume of wastes
generated and/or disposed and on ways to prevent waste generation in the
first place.  I am particularly interested in alternative methods to using
radioactive materials in biomedical research and the benefits/risks posed by
using these alternative methods.

I am most interested in hearing directly from individuals that have
performed the work described above or who have published papers on the above
mentioned topics.  If you have not published your successes, but would be
willing to share them with me via e-mail, even if these successes address a
single waste stream, this information would be useful to me.

Please respond to saustin@mail.nih.gov or the address listed below.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Sean M. Austin, CHP
seanaustin@hotmail.com

All opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of my employer.