Fwd:Re: DANGER: RADIOACTIVE RECYCLING ALERT

>>I know that radioactive contamination in recycled metals has happened in
several places around the world, but I wouldn't place the blame on DOE or NRC.<<

Greg,
I think what they're referring to here is more related to surplus radioactive
scrap metal (RSM) that is deemed "Below Regulatory Concern" (BRC). When I was in
Oak Ridge 5 years ago, K-25 was hoping to be able to reuse/recycle several types
of slightly contaminated scrap metal that on the open market would be worth a
lot of money (I remember nickel and copper, and there were others). I believe
the University of Tennessee was involved in a study to define BRC (e.g., maybe
shouldn't use RSM in baby high chairs, but okay to use it for office filing
cabinets). Anybody know the latest on this?

Elizabeth Algutifan, MS
Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project
St. Charles, Missouri
Elizabeth_Algutifan@wssrap-host.wssrap.com