Re: Scrap metal recycling

In a message dated 5/4/99 4:05:04 PM Pacific Daylight Time, 7pe@ornl.gov
writes:

<< This will be an interesting test of justification of new practices.  Why
 should the public take on any additional risk, no matter how trivial in
 some people's opinion, to assist the nuclear/defense industry in getting
 rid of their contaminated scrap?  The only measurable cost benefit is to
 industry, none to the public (unless there IS a hormetic effect). >>

Well, I'm not convinced this is true.  The cost of storage and disposal is
passed onto the public via taxes.  In addition, the folks who are most
disturbed by the thought of contaminated items entering the public domain are
no less concerned by the thought of nuclear waste sites in their states.  I'm
not sure that any disposition of these items would please the fanatic few who
eschew all things nuclear.

Barbara Hamrick
BLHamrick@aol.com