Low Doses - Seville 1997 - Review

Comments on the review of Low Doses of Ionizing Radiation: Biological
Effects and Regulatory Control - Proceedings of a Conference, Seville,
Spain 17-21 November 1997
Published by IAEA, ISBN: 92-0-102698-6, 440 pp (1998), US$110.00

The Review is in Radiation Protection Dosimetry, Vol 82, No. 2, pp.
153-154 (1999) Nuclear Technology Publishing, and is by K. Becker,
formerly with the DIN German Standards Institute, Berlin.

According to Mr. Becker, only one of the graphs in the book indicates a
biopositive radiation effect, and other material which contradicts the LNT
was omitted.  I'd like to add to this observation, as I am in possession
of the IAEA bound volume published in November 1997, which is basically a
collection of all the contributed papers (i.e. printed before the
conference) (IAEA-TECDOC-976) and runs to 696 pages.  I have a list of 25
papers from this document which relate positively to hormesis, threshold
effects or adaptive response, and they include many graphs.  If these
papers were all omitted from the final, 'official' proceedings, it would
indicate censorship on a truly international scale.

I find this very disturbing, and extremely unscientific.

Chris Davey

 RSO / LSO  Cross Cancer Institute  11560 University Avenue
 Edmonton   Alberta   Canada  T6G 1Z2
 (780)  432-8616   fax 432-8615
 email: cdavey@med.phys.ualberta.ca
 pager number 005, just call (780)  432-8771 and ask for that pager