Scrap metal + Hormesis -Reply/Resend

[Drats!... the dreaded "from" bug struck again, apologies for
retreading on the bandwidth]

Glenn,

You are absolutely right!!

Just kidding.... you didn't really think I was going to agree with you.
Did you?

About your points:

Voluntary vs. Involuntary:  the only things that are involuntary are
one's bodily functions, one's conception, and one's death -- all
subject to some dispute -- also throw in some war-related matters.

I would argue that in a free society all other things are voluntary,
only varying by degrees of passivity (individual and collective).  If
you choose to accept things which you do not like, you have still
made a choice... otherwise, you make a choice to reject those
things, either by not purchasing them, objecting to their use, or
isolating yourself from such things.

BTW... post WW-II steel does (or did) contain trace quantities of
radioisotopes (Co-60) to assist in manufacturing and gauging
uniform thicknesses.

1-in-10-million lottery:  Since our average chance of contracting
cancer is around 3 out of 5 and dying from it is around 2 out of 5, I'd
take the lottery.  In fact, I'd say a person that chooses to hang glide
and would object to those cancer odds is completely irrational.

On the Hormesis thread:

beneficial doses from contaminated scrap metal = 10 -50 mrem/yr (if
you really load up!)

plus nuclear power plants = 0.36 mrem/yr

plus fossil-fuel power plants = 5 mrem/yr (5 x fallout for argument's
sake)

plus radwaste disposal facilities = 10 - 25 mrem/yr if you live nearby

plus household radon = 200 - 300 mrem/yr

plus doctors' offices + plus dentists' offices  = 40 mrem/yr

plus high-flying airliners  = 50 mrem/yr (for our frequent flyers)

plus, plus, plus,..... throw in another 50 mrem/yr for good measure

Total (about) = 600 mrem for your above average, over-achieving
member of the public.

OMIGOD!  This person's probably going to die.... sometime.....
probably before they're 75 - 80, but I'm not sure about that either.

Have a better than average day!

My own personal/non-corporate thoughts,
v/r
Michael