Radon Flux Monitoring Methods

Hey, all you UMTRA veterans:

We are preparing to perform radon flux measurements atop a large waste pile with
radon barrier in accordance with 40 CFR 61, App. B, Method 115, to demonstrate
compliance with the 20 pCi/m2-s flux limit.  My question is: Has anyone ever
used a measuring device OTHER THAN the large-area activated charcoal collector
for this purpose? In 40 CFR 192 it says "This monitoring shall be conducted
using the procedures described in [the above reg], or any other measurement
method proposed by a licensee that the NRC or agreement state approves as being
at least as effective as EPA Method 115 ...".

We have previously used the LAACC to measure flux on a temporary storage pile
that has since been excavated and permanently disposed of. We found that the
LAACC method was quite tedious (bake the charcoal, let it cool, load it into the
collectors, embed the collectors in the ground with at least one inch of soil
covering the lip of the collector, go out and get them the next day, unload the
charcoal, can the charcoal with a canner, and hurry and ship it off to the lab
within 24 hours). Has anyone ever used electrets for this purpose?

One potential monkey wrench in this situation: We are not an NRC licensee;
rather we are a DOE environmental restoration site with 40 CFR 61 and 192 as
ARARs under CERCLA.

Your help is most appreciated.

Elizabeth Algutifan,
Health Physicist
Weldon Spring Site Remedial Action Project
St. Charles, Missouri
Elizabeth_Algutifan@wssrap-host.wssrap.com