Re: Scrap metal recycling -Reply -reply

At 02:16 PM 5/5/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Most consumer products that contain TENORM have it as an unintended
>consequence of manufacturing - the rad comes along with the process.  Not
>here - the additional rad is being purposfully introduced.

I disagree. Products containing NORM have it because, while its presence is
known, there is no justification for going to the trouble and expense of
removing it from the product. The same can be said of the "releasable"
materials this thread is discussing - while the radioactivity is present in
items manufactured from the released materials, it would be present at a
level too low to justify the expense of removal.

In both cases, the cost of preventing the introduction of radioactivity
into a product isn't justifiable.