Re: settlement - ludicrous!

Perhaps the woman (already had advanced stage of cancer) who died in 1982,
10 to 20 years after the radiation exposure, (emphasis on 10 to 20 years)
should be thankful that she had all those EXTRA years due to radiation
hormesis !!!

Let me give you some of my history. I was an x-ray technician during WW-II.
Following the invasion into France in June 1944, our patient load (192nd
General Hospital, Cirencester, England) went from about 40 to 200 in a few
days. Since I was the smart-aleck who when told to do something by an
officer frequently said "Yes, but why?," I was put on "portables." In other
words, I, as a Private, held the x-ray film against the patients leg, for
example, and the Sargent would position the Picker X-ray machine and turn it
on. After one month of this I had my routine blood exam and my white cells
(if I remember correctly. not red) dropped from greater than 8000 to 4000. I
wwas put on "garbage detail" for a month, then back to regular duty, only
this time I work a lead apron (I was called "the butcher boy) but still held
the x-ray film.

When I finished the U. of Washington in 1948 I started work for GE and
Hanford and soon learned how to estimate my exposure over the years from
x-rays. It was between 300 and 1000 R.

Now, about my health in general. First, I have had a malignant melanoma. The
physician, on hearing about my x-ray exposures, suggested that a much more
likely cause was genetic (my Mother was born is Wales and several of my
Welsh relatives have had malignant melanomas). Secondly, I have had prostate
cancer (I'm 75 years old and the latest PSA was 0.94 following radiation
treatment).

Aside from these two things, my general health has been excellent. I have a
strong suspicion that much of my excellent health is due to the hormesis
effect of my x-ray work.

Thus, I suspect that this woman was fortunate to have someone help her have
an extended life span.