Re: settlement - ludicrous!

On Fri, 7 May 1999, Dianah Williams wrote:

> I think this issue is more about the lack of ethics on behalf of the U.S.
 government.  Put yourself in the place of the individual who doesn't
 understand radioactive materials and then is exposed to radiation without
 their consent.

	These people were not exposed to radiation without their consent,
and the government had no role in exposing them to radiation. Their
exposure was not the issue. The issue was that a government sponsored
project used observations done on these people without their knowledge.
These observations did not affect the patient and nothing was done to the
patient because of the research project. The only slight exception to this
was that the patients were not asked whether they wanted medicine for
nausea; they were still given this medicine if they asked for it. None of
this could have had any effect on the outcome of their disease.
	I would be happy to allow any research project look at medical
tests done on me for a lot less than $50,000. In fact, they can do it for
free.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh