settlement

A large institution I am familiar with estimated that the cost of carrying
(i.e. not settling, but playing lawyer games (my term)) at over $ 2 million
dollars PER YEAR.  If the plaintiffs's lawyers can drag out a case, or
convincingly threaten to prolong a case, the costs can be staggering, as
well as paralytic to (many) parts of an institution.  Not pretty - just a fact.

I would recommend Gallileo's Revenge (P. Huber) - like $13.00 from
Amazon.com - an excellent book regarding junk science and litigation (and
how tightly those two terms are tied together!) and some other (IMHO - sad)
aspects of (our) legal system.

(Obviously) my own opinion

Brian Rees
Brees@lanl.gov