RE: Exposure during Cross Country Flights

Here are a couple of quick references:

NCRP 93 (1987) section 2.3.1, page11 gives some discussion of the various
factors involved.
They suggest 5 microSv per hour (0.5 mrem/h) as a dose rate at 39,000 feet
and an average flight duration of 1.5 hours.

Shleien's Health Physics and Radiological Health Handbook (Revised Edition)
lists on p.15 an annual average dose to aircrew members of 1.7 mSv (170
mrem).

David Hall
halld@nv.doe.gov