Re: Informed consent

I must confess confusion re the multiple concerns expressed
as to why patients may not be adequately informed about
radiation risks from diagnostic procedures involving x rays
or radioisotopes.  Especially when this comes from a group
who have just harangued re absence of proven risk from
small radiation doses (the LNT controversy).  It seems
that many of us are "talking from both sides of our
mouths."

I think that most readers of this list will agree
that risk to patients from typical diagnostic
radiologic procedures are vanishingly small.  The most
common diagnostic x-ray procedures are chest and dental;
effective doses from these are of the order of 1 mrad.
Other procedures  (these are CT, barium enema, etc.), done
much less commonly and only after consideration of benefit,
may give effective doses up to 1 rad--rarely more.

Current regs and procedures require that patients be
informed of risks that have a reasonable chance of
occurring--but not all infinitesimally small risks.  It is
simply not possible to discuss everything with every
patient.  Thus patients are informed of risks of contrast
media (for example) but may not be fully informed of
radiation risks for low-dose procedures. However,
discussion with the patient ends with "Do you have any more
questions?"  Patients should ask.

I too am chagrined at the absence of radiation science in
the medical school curriculum.  In years past I had two
hours of lecture time here at Vanderbilt to discuss such.
Now I am crowded out.  The grounds are that there are many
other topics of equal or greater importance that are not
covered. There is simply too much material to cover in four
years.  It is assumed that most of what graduates need to
know will be addressed during residency.  That is generally
true.  However, radiation science enters only into
radiology residency training.  All other specialties get
none.  Surgeons, for example, get what they need to know
about surgery.  Only surgeons perform surgery.  However,
only radiologists get what they need to know about
radiation science.  Everybody wants part of the radiology
action.  It is alarming that the percentage of radiologic
procedures performed by radiologists is decreasing.  A
growing fraction is being done by physicians with
inadequate background in radiology.  Even worse, equipment
operators may have learned all they know from equipment
salesmen.  Managed care seems to want everything performed
by the least qualified personnel they can get away with.  I
didn't intend to get into that sermon, but I won't charge
for it.

Hope this helps.  At least it is off my chest.
S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu