Re: Informed consent, etc.

I agree with virtually all comments made in response to my
recent post.  However, there are a few problems that have
not been adequately addressed.

The major issue is qualifications of medical users of
radiation.  I was also at the recent NCRP meeting and heard
Joel Gray's presentation on credentialing of users and
operators.  Only one state now (to the best of my
knowledge) requires such.  As I mentioned in my last post,
the portion of medical radiologic procedures performed by
untrained operators (and under the supervision of
inadequately educated physicians) is growing.  At least
part of this is the result of managed care's insistence
that all procedures be performed by personnel who are at
best minimally qualified, under the assumption that so
doing will reduce costs (lower salaries, etc.).  How do we
possibly expect these people to provide patients with
adequate and accurate information for informed consent?

I think most radiologists and radiology departments are
making an effort to educate patients.  Success rates
vary widely.  The problem is cost; time is money.  In
Tennessee we have a program called Tenncare, which is an
extension of Medicaid to include the working poor--an
admirable idea but woefully underfunded.  For example, my
department is now recovering much less than half of costs
of studies performed for Tenncare patients.  One of the
contract HMOs with this operation has taken bankruptcy,
leaving millions of dollars in unpaid hospital and
physician charges.  We have been forced to reduce
patoemt-care staffing while our workload is increasing.  At
the same time, our administrative staff has grown to cope
with paperwork.  I think we have it backwards.  It is just
plain wrong to lay off busy technologists in order to hire
more administrators.  But our legal friends give us no
choice.

This is not meant as a defense of the current system.
There are clearly problems.  However, it is just
as important that the health physics community understand
the limitations of our current health care system as it is
for patients to be informed on radiation risks--or the
absence thereof.
S. Julian Gibbs, DDS, PhD               Voice: 615-322-3190
Professor of Radiology                    FAX: 615-322-3764
Dept. of Radiology & Radiological Sciences
Vanderbilt University Medical Center
Nashville TN 37232-2670 Email:s.julian.gibbs@vanderbilt.edu