RE: Discrpancies among different dosimeters

With regards to the x-ray source:

How consistent is the source? Do multiple measurements taken with the same unit and the same dosimetric device in the same geometry give you consistent results? If there is some element of non-uniformity of the beam...spacial irregularities in the x-ray flux density, variations in the energy or total x-ray production, these could account for much of the difference between measurements taken with similar measuring devices. If the variation is in the spacial distribution of the flux, I would expect the effect to be greater for a small measuring device such as a TLD as opposed to a relatively large one such as a pocket ion chamber.

You might try NIST. They should have some insight into the variability of x-ray producing devices for measurements such as yours.

Rick Edwards, Analyst
The Boeing Company
richard.w.edwards@boeing.com