BAER meeting, Oct 99

I do not recall if this was posted to RADSAFE.  I apologise if it is a repeat, but it is a great meeting at a scenic location at a beautiful time of the year (only a minor personal opinion bias).  Have a nice weekend.

The 45th Conference on Bioassay, Analytical & Environmental  Radiochemistry

OBJECTIVES: Over the past 45 years, the Annual Conference on Bioassay,
Analytical, and Environmental Radiochemistry (BAER) has been an informal
open forum where professionals can discuss works-in-progress and common
problems encountered during the development of state-of-the-art methods and
procedures for detecting, measuring, and analyzing radioactive materials
found in a large variety of environmental and biological media.  The unique
objective of the Conference is to provide a test crucible for
pre-publication ideas, assumptions and approaches where the participants
engage in intense straight-forward interactions to share new discoveries,
challenge axioms, gain insights, share experiences, learn of the latest
developments, seek solutions to technical problems and barriers, debate
rational, resolve technical issues, develop solutions and consensus, exam
the impact of new policies and regulations, and establish valuable
technical contacts.

The compilation of abstracts distributed to each registered attendee
represents materials submitted by the authors and will not be peer-reviewed
or edited.  Inclusion in the Conference presentation schedule does not
preclude publication in a peer-reviewed journal.  The conveners adopted the
policy to accepting either regular or extended abstracts to offer authors
the opportunity to submit research material that was either complete or
still in progress.  This policy best achieved the original objectives of
BAER which attempted to establish an opportunity for attendees to discuss
new findings and resolve problems of mutual interest related to the
analysis of bioassay and environmental samples.

The fundamental benefits for the participants are new ideas and approaches
that can be taken back and directly applied in their laboratory or office
to improve their capabilities.

The 45th Annual BAER Conference will be hosted 18-22 October 1999 in
Gaithersburg, MD at the National Institute of Standards and Technology
(NIST), and will launch its traditions into the 21st century.

CONFERENCE AGENDA:  This year's conference, as in past years, will consist
of a series of vendor workshops, technical workshops, oral presentations in
general technical sessions, poster presentations, and vendor displays.
Oral presentations will be assigned to the two morning sessions and the
early afternoon session.  Technical and vendor workshops, and associated
working meetings will be scheduled in parallel for the second afternoon
session.  The conference is being organized to offer the participants full
discussion of the oral presentations, ample opportunity to study the poster
presentations, sufficient time to engage in in-depth discussions with each
other and vendors, and flexible enough to accommodate several workshops and
related meetings.

CALL for ABSTRACTS and SCOPE:  We are currently requesting abstracts for
oral and poster presentations from all professionals in the radiation field
who are interested in discussing the latest bioassay, analytical and
environmental radiochemical  techniques and relevant issues.  All abstracts
must be submitted by July 15.  Because of the expanded discussions in the
general sessions, only 45 oral presentations will be assigned from the
abstracts submitted by July 15.  It is crucial that the abstract clearly
point out the uniqueness, new paradigm, major advancement, and/or mystery
of the presentation.  The conference organizers are especially interested
in receiving abstracts for technological advances in the following areas:

        Sample pre-treatment and dissolution Methods
        Radionuclide Chemistry
        Radioanalytical Methods
        Non-nuclear Techniques (MS, KPA, calorimetry, optical ...)
        Instrumentation, Software, and Automation Tools
        Metrology Applications

        Reference Materials and Certified Reference Materials
        Quality Assurance and Quality Control
        Intercomparisons
        Method Validation and Verification
        Performance Evaluation
        Traceability Evaluation
        Statistical Tools

        Naturally Occurring Radionuclides in Terrestrial and Marine Environments
        Regulations, Standards, and Compliance Issues
        Bioassay, Dosimetry, and Radiation Protection
        Environmental Monitoring, Characterization, Remediation and Restoration
        Nuclear Waste Characterization and Management
        Radionuclide Speciation
        Risk Assessment and Management
        Environmental and Biokinetic Model Validation
        Applications and Research Needs

Abstracts up to five pages including figures, tables, and references will
be accepted.  The following format is recommended: (1) all abstracts be
submitted with page numbers as Word 97 or WordPerfect 6.1 formatted
attachments by E-mail; (2) the name of the author who will be making the
presentation should be underlined; (3) abstracts should be single spaced
using a 10 point font; and (4) provide at least a 1" margin on all sides of
standard 8.5" by 11" paper.  Final versions of abstracts (those to appear
in the conference binder) must be submitted by E-mail no later than
September 10, 1999.

In addition to abstracts for technical presentations, abstracts for
technical and vendor workshops are also being requested at this time.  Room
reservations for associated meetings are also being requested.

Send all abstracts and requests by E-mail to:

        Kenneth G.W. Inn
        NIST
        Building 245, Room C114, MS 8462
        Gaithersburg, MD 20899-8462
        Phone: 301-975-5541
        E-mail:   kenneth.inn@nist.gov
        fax:       301-869-7682

VENDORS: Vendors are requested to contact Kenneth G.W. Inn to express their
willingness to participate in the conference and exhibit their company's
products by 15 June.  Exhibits will be set up on 18 October and removed on
22 October.  There will be no fee for setting up exhibits at the conference.

SCHEDULE:

        15 June         Note of Interest Due (attendees and vendors)
        15 July                 Oral and Poster Abstracts Due; Room Requests for Workshop and
Associated Meetings Due
        1 August                Oral and Poster Presentations Assignments
        15 August               Preliminary Agenda
        10 September            Final-Version  Abstracts Due
        15 September            Final Agenda
        18-22 October           Conference

GENERAL INFORMATION

LOCATION
The meeting will be held at the National Institue of Standards and
Technology, Administration Building (101), Green Auditorium, Gaithersburg,
Maryland.

REGISTRATION
The registration fee is $270 and includes coffee breaks, lunches, two
dinners, and conference materials.  The registration form and payment must
be received by Monday, October 4 for your name to appear on the preliminary
participant's list.  Requests for cancellation or refund must be submitted,
in writing, to Lori Phillips Buckland by October 4.  Please return a note
of interest to Kenneth G.W. Inn by 15 June for the conference agenda.

Electronic registration can be made at:
https://sales.nist.gov/conf/secure/CONF143/conf_register.htm

ACCOMMODATIONS
A block of rooms have been reserved at the Gaithersburg Holiday Inn,
301/948-8900.  A special rate of $90, single or double, plus 12% tax, has
been arranged for attendees.  To reserve a room, please call the hotel
directly no later than Friday, October 1, and mention that you are
attending the NIST/BAER'99 Conference.  Reservations made after October 1
are subject to the prevailing rates of the hotel. Check-in time is 3 p.m.,
check-out time is 12 noon.  Reservations must be cancelled 24 hours prior
to arrival to receive a refund.

TRANSPORTATION
Super-Shuttle, 1-800-258-3826 offers commercial van service from Dulles
International, Ronald Regan National, and  Baltimore-Washington
International Airports to Gaithersburg. Call for reservations.

The Washington Metro has subway service to Gaithersburg.  Metro can be
boarded at National Airport.  Take a Yellow Line train marked "Mount Vernon
Square" to Gallery Place and transfer to a Red Line train marked "Shady
Grove" to the Shady Grove station.  Service is every 6 to 15 minutes,
depending on the time of day.  The travel time from National to Shady Grove
is about 50 minutes.  Taxis are available from the Shady Grove Metro
station to area hotels.

A NIST shuttle van for official visitors operates from Shady Grove metro
station to NIST.  the van leaves the Shady Grove station on the quarter and
three-quarter hour (e.g., 8:15, 8:45, ... 4:45, 5:15) from the east side
parking lot to Building 101.

Roundtrip bus transportation will be provided between the Holiday Inn and
NIST each day.

DRIVING INSTRUCTIONS
To reach NIST:
>From northbound I-270, take Exit 10, Route 117 West, Clopper Road.  At the
first light on Clopper Road, turn left onto the NIST grounds.  Follow the
signs to the Administration Building.

>From southbound I-270, take Exit 11B, Route 124 West, Quince Orchard Road.
At the second light, turn left on Clopper road, then right at the light
onto the NIST grounds.  Follow the signs to the Administration Building.

To reach the hotel:
>From northbound I-270, take Exit 11, Rt. 124 East, Montgomery Village
Avenue. At the second traffic light, turn left onto Rt. 355. The hotel will
be on your right. From southbound I-270, use Exit 11A and follow the same
directions.

TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Kenneth Inn
NIST
Telephone: 301/975-5541
Fax: 301/926-7416
Email: kenneth.inn@nist.gov

REGISTRATION INFORMATION
Lori Phillips Buckland
NIST
Telephone: 301/975-4513
Fax: 301/948-2067
Email: lori.phillips@nist.gov
Web Site: http://www.nist.gov/conferences
Annual Conference on Bioassay and
 Environmental Radiochemistry
BAER'99
        October 18-22, 1999
        REGISTRATION FORM

LAST NAME:

FIRST NAME:

COMPANY/ORGANIZATION:

STREET ADDRESS:

ROOM NUMBER/MAIL CODE:

CITY:                           STATE:              ZIP:

COUNTRY:                        BUSINESS PHONE:

EMAIL ADDRESS:                         FAX:

Amount Remitted: [ ]  $270 for registration

Form of Payment:
[ ] Check.              Make checks payable to NIST/BAER'99.

[ ] Purchase Order Attached.  Purchase Order No.:________________

[ ] Master Card [ ] Visa        [ ] Discover    [ ] American Express

Account No.______________________________________________________
Exp. Date:_________
Signature:_______________________________________________________

Please return this form by Monday, October 4:
Office of the Comptroller
100 Bureau Drive, Stop 5202
Bldg. 101, Rm. A807
Gaithersburg, MD  20899-5202

Or Fax/email to: Lori Phillips Buckland,(301) 948-2067,lori.phillips@nist.gov

Disclaimer:  the above are the personal musings of the author, and do not represent any past, present, or future position of NIST, the U.S. government, or anyone else who might think that they are in a position of authority.
Lester Slaback, Jr.  [Lester.Slaback@NIST.GOV]
NBSR Health Physics
Center for Neutron Research
NIST