RE: Gofman letter

Anyone reading and believing the letter attributed to Gofman below is likely
to be under the impression that there's nothing that can be done about one's
exposure to natural radiation sources.  Somebody should disabuse them of
this notion, as there are many actions one can take to reduce exposure to
natural (including technologically enhanced natural) radiation.  Not the
least of these actions would be to do exactly the opposite of what many
anti-nuclear groups widely advocate with regard to weather-stripping doors
and windows and caulking above-grade cracks in an effort to conserve energy
by reducing ventilation heat loss.  In conjunction with the notion expressed
in the letter that "there is no safe dose", the statement that, "The fact
that humans cannot escape exposure to ionizing radiation from various
natural sources ... is no reason to let human activities INCREASE exposure
to ionizing radiation", should pose (notwithstanding ignorance or
disingenuous misrepresentation) a serious dilemma to these groups.
Above-grade caulking and weather-stripping houses is almost certain to
result in an increase in effective dose from radon progeny that, in even a
short time interval of exposure, would exceed the effective dose resulting
from a lifetime's exposure to radiation from nuclear power generation.

Bruce Heinmiller
heinmillerb@aecl.ca