Re: Gofman letter

Interesting ---

I do not believe that John Gofman was the head of the "Plutonium Group".
Rather I believe that during 1942, Gofman was indeed at Berkeley but was
concerned with U-233 of which he is acknowledged as the co-discoverer.  He
did in fact work on Pu, studying its fast neutron fission properties and
carrying out separation and in collaboration with Raymond Stoughton isolated
a 3.8 microgram sample (Sample J) in early 1942.  However, according to
Glenn T. Seaborg, " The first sample (0.5 microgram) of {Pu-239} isolated
and demonstration of fission by slow neutrons in Berkeley by Seaborg, Segre,
Kennedy, and Lawrence (Report A-33, May 29, 1941)." (Cited in "The Plutonium
Story: The Journals of Professor Glenn T. Seaborg 1939-1946", RL Kathren, JB
Gough, and GT Benefiel, Eds, Columbus:  Battelle Press, 1994, p. 301).  This
was the famous Sample A, isolated in March 1941; Arthur Wahl key role in the
chemical separation; Joseph Kennedy did the counting.

Ron Kathren