RE: Gofman letter -Reply

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Robert Jolley wrote:

> Is there evidence that contradicts the "Mutagenic Effects of a Single and an Exact Number of Alpha Particles in Mammalian Cells?"  I would have thought that it is pretty well established that alpha particles can cause mutagenic effects.  The severity of these effects may be in question, but the physiological response of cellls to alpha particles should be pretty well established.

> I would like to hear some discussion with regard to alpha particles from those of you with experience in biological effects of alpha particles.

	--There may be evidence that a single alpha particle causes
mutagenic effects. But there is also extensive evidence that low level
radiation is protective against cancer, like "adaptive response" and
stimulation of the immune system. Thus the net effect of a single alpha
particle may be either harmful or beneficial, depending on the magnitudes
of the pertinent effects.

Bernard L. Cohen
Physics Dept.
University of Pittsburgh