RE: Gofman letter -Reply

Robert

In the last issue of the Bulletin of the Canadian Radiation Protection
Association, there is a short article titled "It May Take More Than One Hit
Per Cell To Induce Cancer" by P. Duport. This article is a description of
work done by Richard Miller - Richard C. Miller et al, The Oncogenic
Transforming Potential of the Passage of Single Alpha Particle Through
Mammalian Cell Nuclei, Proc Natl Acad Sci (USA), vol 96, pp 19-22, 1999.

I haven't read the referenced article, but from the description given by P.
Duport I conclude that the research provides evidence that a single nuclear
traversal may not produce oncogenic transformations.

Matthew Schmid

At 09:43 AM 5/21/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Is there evidence that contradicts the "Mutagenic Effects of a Single and
an Exact Number of Alpha Particles in Mammalian Cells?"  I would have
thought that it is pretty well established that alpha particles can cause
mutagenic effects.  The severity of these effects may be in question, but
the physiological response of cellls to alpha particles should be pretty
well established.

>I would like to hear some discussion with regard to alpha particles from
those of you with experience in biological effects of alpha particles.

>Robert Jolley
>State of Tennessee
>rjolley@mail.state.tn.us

Matthew Schmid, M.Sc., MCCPM