RE: Cleaning Iodine Therapy Patient Rooms

Chris-

Outline the situation to your AECB licensing officer in a letter -
because what your administrator is proposing is not consistent with the
information you supplied (re: contamination monitoring/decon of RNT
hospital bedrooms) when you applied for/renewed your licence.  It's
highly likely you will get a written response indicating that this
proposed change would not be acceptable to the AECB.   I have found AECB
staff (and the letters they write) very supportive when dealing with
administrators who are busy cutting corners and have no understanding of
radiation safety.

I would also point out that the training requirements (see the AECB
C-200 consultative document "Radiation Safety Training for Radioisotope,
Medical Accelerator and Transportation Workers" issued in October 1998)
are quite rigorous for those persons measuring and interpreting
contamination levels and working with radioactivity - which certainly
includes decontamination.  If indeed the hospital decided to push ahead
with this, you should insist on a minimum 2-3 day training program (with
annual refreshers, etc) for any housekeeper who might be assigned this
task - in addition, that individual should be issued a TLD badge and
undergo I-131 bioassay after each room clean-up.  Because of the new
AECB dose limit for members of the public and the small amount of
internalized radioiodine that might exceed that level, you could make a
case for designating any such worker as a "Nuclear Energy Worker" under
the new regulations - I'm sure the individual housekeeping workers and
the union will not be thrilled by the prospect.

Hope to see you at the CRPA conference next week.

Regards

Karin
Karin Gordon
Radiation Safety Officer