Re: Plutonium-238-containing cardiac pacemakers

Dear Jaro,
Nuclear powered pacemakers hit the market in the early 1970s.  One of the
manufacturers was Medtronic, Inc. in Minneapolis, Minnesota.  Perhaps they
can tell you how many they sold.  The Air Force School of Aerospce Medicine
performed EMI tests on Medtronic Model 9000 pcemakers, when this was
considered a problem for Air Force installations.  The pacemakers contained
2.5 Ci of Pu-238.  tests were conducted in water phantoms.  We were
instructed to return them to the manufacturer when they were no longer of
use.  The literature at the time stated tht patients who received the
pacemakers were required to carry a special ID card and that upon their
demise, the pacemaker was to be retrieved and returned to the physician, who
in turn was to return it to the manufacturer.   We heard of one story where a
patient had to be reinterred.   I presume that Medtronic returned the Pu fuel
capsules to the DOE.   I, too, would be interested in knowing is any of these
devices re still around.  Please let us know.

Ken Hardy
hardykphys@aol.com