Re: Plutonium-238-containing cardiac pacemakers

Long-life nuclear powered pacemakers were manufactured by several companies from
the mid 1970s to the early 1980s. The batteries in these units contained up to 4
Ci (150 to 250 mg) of Plutonium-238 and had an expected life of more than 25
years. Of the 1560 units that had been implanted as of 1986, about 900 were
still in operation. Surface radiation levels were approximately 2 mrem/hr for
gamma emissions and 1 mrem/hr for neutron emissions. Although the dose
equivalent to tissue in contact with the implanted pacemaker ranged from 5 to 15
mrem/hr (90 rem/yr average), the whole body radiation dose rate was less than
0.5 rem per year.  The estimated whole body dose to a spouse was about 7.5
mrem/yr and ranged from 0.1 to 1.5 mrem/yr for other family members.  Patients
implanted with these units are still tracked by the manufacturers in order to
assure safe disposal of the nuclear material.

I wouldn't go so far as to say there were no qualms about having radioactive
materials implanted. Remember this was a life saving operation and these units
passed rigorous testing including crushing, cremation for 6 hours at 2400°F,
simulated train, plane and automobile crashes, and gunshots.

bill
william.ctr.kolb@faa.gov