Technical Grammar Peeves

I've restrained myself for a while now, but I've noticed several annoying
grammatical trends cropping up in many publications., including technical
articles.

The first is the use of the word "reference" as a verb; as is "Not to be
referenced."  According to one dictionary I have, the verb form has been
around since 1891, but other dictionaries don't list it at all.  Matt
Young's book, "The Technical Writer's Handbook, Writing with Style and
Clarity," states definitively that reference is a noun not a verb.

I weigh in with Matt's position.  You may "refer" to something or something
may be "referred to' something else.  Documents and publications are "cited"
not "referenced" in other publications.

Another problem I've been seeing is the capitalization of the names of
elements and units; for example, Radium instead of radium and Becquerel
instead of becquerel.  According to the SI system the abbreviations of units
based on names are capitalized but the name is not.  I believe that the same
rule applies to element names.

I know that these are not weighty matters, but I was just beginning to read
the draft report of the NCRP Scientific Committee Report Number 6, and in
big bold letters across the top it says, "DRAFT FOR COMMENT, NOT TO BE
REFERENCED." In this month's HPS Newsletter, there is at least one reference
to "Becquerel level".

Thanks for letting me vent.

Jerry Falo
jer3ry@aol.com