RE: RWP requirements for radiography

Diana,

A radiography RWP should be required for work within the RCA.  The RWP is
not required for the radiography process, but rather to control their
exposure to plant radiation and contamination.

A RWP is not required when radiography is performed outside the RCA.

The plant radiation protection program should be responsible for all
radiation exposure received by plant workers on site.  At the plants I have
experience at, we would assign a HP Technician to the radiographers to
verify the adequacy of their exclusion area and to monitor the boundary dose
rates.  The plant HP Technicians were assigned to radiography performed both
inside and outside the RCA.

Something else to consider is the radiological posting of radiography
sources while on site.  Radiography sources should be stored in a RAM and
Radiation Area (if applicable), and posted in accordance with plant
procedures.

- John Wiles