	From:  George Xu [SMTP:xug2@rpi.edu]
	Sent:  Thursday, June 10, 1999 3:02 PM
	To:  Multiple recipients of list
	Subject:  10 CFR 35 governing medical use

	Hi, Radsafers,

	I was told that, in 1997, The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
	began the process of completely rewriting its regulations (10 CFR 35)
	governing medical use of byproduct material, in response to its own
	Strategic Assessment Initiative (1995-1997) and the Institute of Medicine's
	(IOM) highly critical 1995 report, "Radiation Medicine: a Need for
	Regulatory Reform."

	Is it true that the final rule is expected to be approved by the NRC
	Commissioners in June 1999 and implemented in Fall 1999? Can anyone tell
	how to get a draft copy of the rule?

	Please reply to me directly, unless you think the information is useful to
	others too. Thanks a lot!

	George Xu
	Rensselaer polytechnic Institute

	xug2@rpi.edu